You are invited to participate in our orientation class for 8th Day which will meet every Thursday evening for five weeks, beginning September 2, 2021.
Our plan is to offer the five-week course on Thursdays, from 6:30 to 8:00 The first class may go until 8:15. For your information, an agenda for the first class is included below.
The class will start with the early vision and call of those who started Church of the Saviour, to be followed in subsequent weeks by a focus on the inward journey, outward journey, community life and the evoking of gifts.
Enrollment will be limited to eight.
Please email Gail Arnall if you have any questions and if you would like to sign up.
Week 1 - We are called Beloved
readings: Ch 1 Servant Leaders, Servant Structures (all readings will be emailed to participants)
6:30 - welcome, prayer, introductions
6:45 - 7:00 - introduction in pairs:
- what are my own spiritual inheritance and doctrinal roots?
- how did I start coming to 8th Day?
7:00 - 7:30 - introductions by partners to the whole group
7:30 - 8:00 Early vision and history of the Church of the Saviour
- First meeting of Church of the Saviour took place on October 5, 1946
vision of the Church of the Saviour video
- Idea for a non-denominational/ecumenical church outside of the denominational framework came from Gordon's experience in WWII.
story of 7 men: everyman/everywoman pp 6-7 Servant Leaders, Servant Structures
Church Gordon dreamed of - Call to Commitment - p 13
- While CofS de-emphasizes denominational doctrine, it emphasizes the spiritual journey we are all on, which is supported by the practices of the inward and outward journeys, within community
Inward Journey - engagement with self, God and community to become closer to God
Outward Journey - concrete involvement at a point of the world's need, based on call, using our God-given gifts.
- In this way, CofS tries to bring to life the way we understand early Christians lived.
- In 1976 CofS was divided into smaller communities, one being 8th Day
read 8th Day's original call
7:55 - 8:00 closing prayer